The Top 5 Medicinal Mushrooms and Their Benefits
Functional mushrooms like Reishi, Lion’s Mane, and Chaga have been popping up all over your favorite grocery stores, cafés, and smoothie shops. You may have even seen mushroom infused shampoos and face masks at your favorite beauty stores. So what's all the hype about?
Here's a look at our top 5 favorite functional mushrooms and their superpowers.
1. Lion's Mane - The Brain Booster
- Lion’s mane promotes cognitive function including improved mental clarity, enhanced focus, and better memory retention .
- Lion’s mane promotes the production of nerve growth factor, “NGF”, which in turn stimulates the growth and protection of nerve cells .
- Clinical studies have shown Lion's Mane's ability to improve mood and healthy brain function by reducing symptoms of anxiety and irritability .
- It may help prevent and treat neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
- Lion’s mane extract has also been shown to boost the immune system, protect the gut, reduce cardiovascular risk, and potentially manage diabetes.
2. Reishi - The Adaptogen & Stress Reliever
- Reishi is a potent "super adaptogen" which helps the body adapt to changing environments and stress.
- Reishi has also been shown to support healthy blood pressure, relaxation, and sleep cycles .
- It is packed with antioxidants to help fight off free radicals in the body.
- It supports lymphocyte function, which can help fight infections and diseases .
3. Chaga - The Anti-Aging Mushroom
- Chaga mushrooms are an antioxidant powerhouse with even higher levels than acai berries, which helps protect cells from oxidation, slow aging, and even protect the skin from UV damage.
- Chaga mushrooms have been shown to enhance the immune system's response by reducing inflammation and fighting off viruses .
- Many studies show Chaga's ability to prevent and slow cancer growth and reduce tumor sizes , .
- Chaga also helps to manage cholesterol and blood sugar levels .
4. Cordyceps - The Energy Mushroom
- Cordyceps increases ATP levels in the body, which is the molecule that powers our cells.
- Clinical studies show the mushroom's ability to significantly increase workout time to exhaustion as well as maximum oxygen consumption .
- Other studies show its ability to promote energy and fight fatigue during high-intensity training .
- Cordyceps supports healthy libido and has been shown to enhance fertility in men and women.
5. Turkey Tail - The Immunity Mushroom
- Turkey Tail contains powerful immune boosting compounds and polysaccharides.
- Turkey Tail's immune boosting polysaccharides (PSK and PSP) are so effective that it is used as an approved anticancer prescription drug in Japan .
- It has been shown to be an effective prebiotic to support healthy bacterica in the gut.
- Turkey Tail mushrooms are also high in antioxidants that inhibit cellular damage caused by oxidative stress .